Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » BPEL Designer » BPEL-Editor in RCP app - dependencies?
BPEL-Editor in RCP app - dependencies? [message #3249] Tue, 21 February 2006 10:12 Go to next message
Eclipse User
Originally posted by: Peter.Peherstorfer.jku.at

Hi,

I am very interested to use the BPEL plugin in my RCP app. For the time
being i need to visualize BPEL files (no editing, etc. necessary at the
moment, but very welcome nonetheless).
On the BPEL Model webpage, in the "Support for non-Workbench scenarios"
section, it is mentioned that the use for non-workbench scenarios is
supported. However, i found quite a few dependencies on org.eclipse.ide
and org.eclipse.core.resources which are not supposed to be included in
RCP apps (am i right in this assumption?).

My question: how to best make the bpel-editor available in RCP apps?

Tha,
Peter Peherstorfer
Re: BPEL-Editor in RCP app - dependencies? [message #3283 is a reply to message #3249] Tue, 21 February 2006 19:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
James Moody is currently offline James Moody
Messages: 61
Registered: July 2009
Member
peterJKU wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am very interested to use the BPEL plugin in my RCP app. For the time
> being i need to visualize BPEL files (no editing, etc. necessary at the
> moment, but very welcome nonetheless).
> On the BPEL Model webpage, in the "Support for non-Workbench scenarios"
> section, it is mentioned that the use for non-workbench scenarios is
> supported. However, i found quite a few dependencies on org.eclipse.ide
> and org.eclipse.core.resources which are not supposed to be included in
> RCP apps (am i right in this assumption?).
>
> My question: how to best make the bpel-editor available in RCP apps?
>
> Tha,
> Peter Peherstorfer

Hi Peter,

This sounds like a very interesting project!! Just to clarify the
statements you found on the model web page, the *EMF Model* for BPEL
will run in a non-Workbench scenario (such as in a BPEL runtime, for
example). However, the BPEL *Editor* is very heavily dependent on many
Workbench concepts:

1. The editor operates on IResources and listens for resource deltas for
a number of reasons.
2. The editor is, well, an editor. I'm not up on the latest in RCP but I
assume workbench editors (i.e. IEditorParts) are out for RCP apps
(correct me if I'm wrong).
3. It provides global actions and is dependent on the global selection
framework in the workbench.
4. It is heavily dependent on the workbench Properties view being
available. Details for selected objects are displayed and edited in this
properties view, and the actual properties page framework is now part of
the workbench (as of Eclipse 3.2M5).

I'm not sure how these four items (and possibly others) can be easily
overcome, as they are fairly central to the design of the editor, but we
welcome discussion on any of these. Some education (for me) may be
necessary as well since I haven't looked at the details of RCP in a while.

james
Re: BPEL-Editor in RCP app - dependencies? [message #3581 is a reply to message #3283] Fri, 03 March 2006 21:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dave Carlson is currently offline Dave Carlson
Messages: 399
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Hi James,

I am working on UML and OWL editors deployed as RCP via JavaWebStart. I use
pretty much all four of the items you list below in RCP without any problem.
IEditorPart is also central to RCP apps, and properties view is easily
integrated. I also use the very cool tabbed properties view from WTP (now
in Eclipse platform as of 3.2M5) in my RCP app.

I am also interested in BEPL edit and view within RCP so will study your
dependencies in more detail and reply again later to this newsgroup. There
may be some relatively small changes required to the editor to avoid
IFileEditorInput, which is from IDE plugin. Also Problems view is from IDE.

Cheers,
Dave Carlson
www.xmlmodeling.com

"James Moody" <James_Moody@ca.ibm.com> wrote in message
news:dtfpm6$gsl$1@utils.eclipse.org...
>
> This sounds like a very interesting project!! Just to clarify the
> statements you found on the model web page, the *EMF Model* for BPEL will
> run in a non-Workbench scenario (such as in a BPEL runtime, for example).
> However, the BPEL *Editor* is very heavily dependent on many Workbench
> concepts:
>
> 1. The editor operates on IResources and listens for resource deltas for a
> number of reasons.
> 2. The editor is, well, an editor. I'm not up on the latest in RCP but I
> assume workbench editors (i.e. IEditorParts) are out for RCP apps (correct
> me if I'm wrong).
> 3. It provides global actions and is dependent on the global selection
> framework in the workbench.
> 4. It is heavily dependent on the workbench Properties view being
> available. Details for selected objects are displayed and edited in this
> properties view, and the actual properties page framework is now part of
> the workbench (as of Eclipse 3.2M5).
>
> I'm not sure how these four items (and possibly others) can be easily
> overcome, as they are fairly central to the design of the editor, but we
> welcome discussion on any of these. Some education (for me) may be
> necessary as well since I haven't looked at the details of RCP in a while.
>
> james
Re: BPEL-Editor in RCP app - dependencies? [message #3613 is a reply to message #3581] Thu, 09 March 2006 19:19 Go to previous message
James Moody is currently offline James Moody
Messages: 61
Registered: July 2009
Member
Dave Carlson wrote:
> Hi James,
>
> I am working on UML and OWL editors deployed as RCP via JavaWebStart. I use
> pretty much all four of the items you list below in RCP without any problem.
> IEditorPart is also central to RCP apps, and properties view is easily
> integrated. I also use the very cool tabbed properties view from WTP (now
> in Eclipse platform as of 3.2M5) in my RCP app.
>
> I am also interested in BEPL edit and view within RCP so will study your
> dependencies in more detail and reply again later to this newsgroup. There
> may be some relatively small changes required to the editor to avoid
> IFileEditorInput, which is from IDE plugin. Also Problems view is from IDE.
>
> Cheers,
> Dave Carlson
> www.xmlmodeling.com

Hi Dave,

This sounds better than I thought. If you're interested in tracking down
any specific areas where we can make improvements, we'd be happy to
evaluate each of them to see if they are feasible - as I mention, this
isn't really in our milestone plan, but if you're interested in helping
out, patches are always welcome.

james
Previous Topic:BPEL Testing Framework
Next Topic:Project Status as of M1 date
Goto Forum:
  


Current Time: Tue Sep 30 21:59:19 GMT 2014

Powered by FUDForum. Page generated in 0.01754 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.

Powered by: FUDforum 3.0.2.
Copyright ©2001-2010 FUDforum Bulletin Board Software