Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » DSDP - Target Management » Is TM/RSE right for us?
Is TM/RSE right for us? [message #2979] Fri, 12 January 2007 15:32 Go to next message
Robert Norton is currently offline Robert NortonFriend
Messages: 7
Registered: July 2009
Junior Member
Greetings All!

I've been given the task of adapting Eclipse to the needs of our
developers and have identified that one of our requirements is to
simplify the process of configuring and launching a debug session on an
embedded target (or simulator). Since this is exactly the sort of thing
that TM/RSE is supposed to handle I thought I would give a shout on this
mailing list to see if anyone can offer any suggestions.

The basic problem is that setting up a debugging environment for us is
much more complicated than the default CDT (+ Zylin patches) launch
configuration allows. In particular it might involve starting several
different processes (each with specific options, sometimes on a remote
target) in the correct order and finally connecting a gdb process.

From scanning the available documentation I get the impression that TM
and RSE provide a basic framework which could be used to automate much
of this, but I'm still unclear on exactly how it could be achieved. For
example might it be possible to create a new debug configuration type
tailored to each of our debugging scenarios and leveraging the RSE
functionality? I'm keen to create as general a framework as possible for
starting auxiliary process and would love to contribute back any code I
produce (subject to the agreement of management / legal bods.).

Does anyone have the slightest idea what I am talking about? If so, can
you offer any comments or suggestions?

Cheers,

Robert Norton
DSL Unit, Broadcom UK
Re: Is TM/RSE right for us? [message #2995 is a reply to message #2979] Fri, 12 January 2007 16:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse UserFriend
Originally posted by: torkildr.resheim.no

Hi Robert

Robert Norton wrote:
[snip]
>
> The basic problem is that setting up a debugging environment for us is
> much more complicated than the default CDT (+ Zylin patches) launch
> configuration allows. In particular it might involve starting several
> different processes (each with specific options, sometimes on a remote
> target) in the correct order and finally connecting a gdb process.
This should not be a problem. You can subclass the CDT launch delegate and
do all of the starting before letting it continue with gdb.
>
> From scanning the available documentation I get the impression that TM
> and RSE provide a basic framework which could be used to automate much
> of this, but I'm still unclear on exactly how it could be achieved. For
TM provides the remote capabilities.

> example might it be possible to create a new debug configuration type
> tailored to each of our debugging scenarios and leveraging the RSE
> functionality? I'm keen to create as general a framework as possible for
Yes, this is what you'd want to do.

> starting auxiliary process and would love to contribute back any code I
> produce (subject to the agreement of management / legal bods.).
>
> Does anyone have the slightest idea what I am talking about? If so, can
> you offer any comments or suggestions?
Yes, I've implemented something very similar to what you want. I'm not at
liberty to reveal any details but I know it's possible using the
aforementioned methods.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Robert Norton
> DSL Unit, Broadcom UK

--
Med vennlig hilsen / Kind regards
Torkild Ulvøy Resheim
Re: Is TM/RSE right for us? [message #3012 is a reply to message #2995] Fri, 12 January 2007 17:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Robert Norton is currently offline Robert NortonFriend
Messages: 7
Registered: July 2009
Junior Member
Torkild U. Resheim wrote:
> <snip>
> Yes, I've implemented something very similar to what you want. I'm not at
> liberty to reveal any details but I know it's possible using the
> aforementioned methods.

OK. Thanks a lot for the reassurance it's good to know I'm not starting
off on a wild goose chase!

Robert
Advanced Remote Launching (was: Is TM/RSE right for us?) [message #3049 is a reply to message #2979] Mon, 15 January 2007 16:21 Go to previous message
Martin Oberhuber is currently offline Martin OberhuberFriend
Messages: 985
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Hi Robert,

it's great to hear that you want to extend the TM / RSE Launching
mechanism, and also think about contributing back your enhancements.

As Torkild has already pointed out, adding Shell Operations to a Launch
by adding them to the LaunchDelegate "hardcoded" should be fairly easy.
If you want to have your shell commands independent of the protocol
(ssh, telnet, dstore, or whatever contributed), you might want to
consider extending
org.eclipse.rse.subsystems.shell.core.model.SimpleCommandOpe ration .

For some sample code that deals with running commands on the remote
side, see org.eclipse.rse.examples.tutorial/ShowJarContents
as well as the MontaVista ssh processes contribution, which is currently
available from Bugzilla at
https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=159522

With respect to making such shell (or download) actions as part of a
Launch generic, we already have a concept for this. The idea is to have
an additional tab in the Launch, where you see a list of entries. Each
entry is of type ILaunchAction, where implementations of ILaunchAction
can be contributed through plugin.xml. Each ILaunchAction brings an
associated UI for configuring it.
Examples of ILaunchAction could be a RunShellCommandLaunchAction, or a
DownloadFileLaunchAction, each of which could use RSE services in turn.
The LaunchActionSequencer, which runs one action after the other can
even be generic (independent of RSE), just like the LaunchActionManager
which would be responsible for persisting the ILaunchAction data into
ILaunchConfiguration instances.

Unfortunately, this excellent idea isn't currently being implemented due
to lack of resources. If you like this idea, please get in touch with us
on the dsdp-tm-dev@eclipse.org mailing list for further exchange of
concrete design ideas. It would be great if you could work in this
direction and contribute some code. The online place for more details is
at http://wiki.eclipse.org/index.php/DSDP/TM/Launching


Thanks,
--
Martin Oberhuber
Target Management Project Lead, DSDP PMC Member
http://www.eclipse.org/dsdp/tm


Robert Norton wrote:
> Greetings All!
>
> I've been given the task of adapting Eclipse to the needs of our
> developers and have identified that one of our requirements is to
> simplify the process of configuring and launching a debug session on an
> embedded target (or simulator). Since this is exactly the sort of thing
> that TM/RSE is supposed to handle I thought I would give a shout on this
> mailing list to see if anyone can offer any suggestions.
>
> The basic problem is that setting up a debugging environment for us is
> much more complicated than the default CDT (+ Zylin patches) launch
> configuration allows. In particular it might involve starting several
> different processes (each with specific options, sometimes on a remote
> target) in the correct order and finally connecting a gdb process.
>
> From scanning the available documentation I get the impression that TM
> and RSE provide a basic framework which could be used to automate much
> of this, but I'm still unclear on exactly how it could be achieved. For
> example might it be possible to create a new debug configuration type
> tailored to each of our debugging scenarios and leveraging the RSE
> functionality? I'm keen to create as general a framework as possible for
> starting auxiliary process and would love to contribute back any code I
> produce (subject to the agreement of management / legal bods.).
>
> Does anyone have the slightest idea what I am talking about? If so, can
> you offer any comments or suggestions?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Robert Norton
> DSL Unit, Broadcom UK
Re: Is TM/RSE right for us? [message #565469 is a reply to message #2979] Fri, 12 January 2007 16:37 Go to previous message
Eclipse UserFriend
Originally posted by: torkildr.resheim.no

Hi Robert

Robert Norton wrote:
[snip]
>
> The basic problem is that setting up a debugging environment for us is
> much more complicated than the default CDT (+ Zylin patches) launch
> configuration allows. In particular it might involve starting several
> different processes (each with specific options, sometimes on a remote
> target) in the correct order and finally connecting a gdb process.
This should not be a problem. You can subclass the CDT launch delegate and
do all of the starting before letting it continue with gdb.
>
> From scanning the available documentation I get the impression that TM
> and RSE provide a basic framework which could be used to automate much
> of this, but I'm still unclear on exactly how it could be achieved. For
TM provides the remote capabilities.

> example might it be possible to create a new debug configuration type
> tailored to each of our debugging scenarios and leveraging the RSE
> functionality? I'm keen to create as general a framework as possible for
Yes, this is what you'd want to do.

> starting auxiliary process and would love to contribute back any code I
> produce (subject to the agreement of management / legal bods.).
>
> Does anyone have the slightest idea what I am talking about? If so, can
> you offer any comments or suggestions?
Yes, I've implemented something very similar to what you want. I'm not at
liberty to reveal any details but I know it's possible using the
aforementioned methods.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Robert Norton
> DSL Unit, Broadcom UK

--
Med vennlig hilsen / Kind regards
Torkild Ulvøy Resheim
Re: Is TM/RSE right for us? [message #565491 is a reply to message #2995] Fri, 12 January 2007 17:27 Go to previous message
Robert Norton is currently offline Robert NortonFriend
Messages: 7
Registered: July 2009
Junior Member
Torkild U. Resheim wrote:
> <snip>
> Yes, I've implemented something very similar to what you want. I'm not at
> liberty to reveal any details but I know it's possible using the
> aforementioned methods.

OK. Thanks a lot for the reassurance it's good to know I'm not starting
off on a wild goose chase!

Robert
Advanced Remote Launching (was: Is TM/RSE right for us?) [message #565536 is a reply to message #2979] Mon, 15 January 2007 16:21 Go to previous message
Martin Oberhuber is currently offline Martin OberhuberFriend
Messages: 985
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Hi Robert,

it's great to hear that you want to extend the TM / RSE Launching
mechanism, and also think about contributing back your enhancements.

As Torkild has already pointed out, adding Shell Operations to a Launch
by adding them to the LaunchDelegate "hardcoded" should be fairly easy.
If you want to have your shell commands independent of the protocol
(ssh, telnet, dstore, or whatever contributed), you might want to
consider extending
org.eclipse.rse.subsystems.shell.core.model.SimpleCommandOpe ration .

For some sample code that deals with running commands on the remote
side, see org.eclipse.rse.examples.tutorial/ShowJarContents
as well as the MontaVista ssh processes contribution, which is currently
available from Bugzilla at
https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=159522

With respect to making such shell (or download) actions as part of a
Launch generic, we already have a concept for this. The idea is to have
an additional tab in the Launch, where you see a list of entries. Each
entry is of type ILaunchAction, where implementations of ILaunchAction
can be contributed through plugin.xml. Each ILaunchAction brings an
associated UI for configuring it.
Examples of ILaunchAction could be a RunShellCommandLaunchAction, or a
DownloadFileLaunchAction, each of which could use RSE services in turn.
The LaunchActionSequencer, which runs one action after the other can
even be generic (independent of RSE), just like the LaunchActionManager
which would be responsible for persisting the ILaunchAction data into
ILaunchConfiguration instances.

Unfortunately, this excellent idea isn't currently being implemented due
to lack of resources. If you like this idea, please get in touch with us
on the dsdp-tm-dev@eclipse.org mailing list for further exchange of
concrete design ideas. It would be great if you could work in this
direction and contribute some code. The online place for more details is
at http://wiki.eclipse.org/index.php/DSDP/TM/Launching


Thanks,
--
Martin Oberhuber
Target Management Project Lead, DSDP PMC Member
http://www.eclipse.org/dsdp/tm


Robert Norton wrote:
> Greetings All!
>
> I've been given the task of adapting Eclipse to the needs of our
> developers and have identified that one of our requirements is to
> simplify the process of configuring and launching a debug session on an
> embedded target (or simulator). Since this is exactly the sort of thing
> that TM/RSE is supposed to handle I thought I would give a shout on this
> mailing list to see if anyone can offer any suggestions.
>
> The basic problem is that setting up a debugging environment for us is
> much more complicated than the default CDT (+ Zylin patches) launch
> configuration allows. In particular it might involve starting several
> different processes (each with specific options, sometimes on a remote
> target) in the correct order and finally connecting a gdb process.
>
> From scanning the available documentation I get the impression that TM
> and RSE provide a basic framework which could be used to automate much
> of this, but I'm still unclear on exactly how it could be achieved. For
> example might it be possible to create a new debug configuration type
> tailored to each of our debugging scenarios and leveraging the RSE
> functionality? I'm keen to create as general a framework as possible for
> starting auxiliary process and would love to contribute back any code I
> produce (subject to the agreement of management / legal bods.).
>
> Does anyone have the slightest idea what I am talking about? If so, can
> you offer any comments or suggestions?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Robert Norton
> DSL Unit, Broadcom UK
Previous Topic:EclipseCon TM Tutorial: What do you want to hear?
Next Topic:Extending org.eclipse.rse.core.systemTypes
Goto Forum:
  


Current Time: Mon Dec 22 17:48:41 GMT 2014

Powered by FUDForum. Page generated in 0.09340 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.

Powered by: FUDforum 3.0.2.
Copyright ©2001-2010 FUDforum Bulletin Board Software