Back to Archived Releases
platform team integration framework
Themes for Team 3.0
is under development
|| item is
||[>3.0] item is deferred
The overall themes for this release are detailed below:
- improved user experience
- improved ISV APIs and documentation
The top work items are:
- Add synchronization components to API. See Sync view re-design and API effort
- Provide helpers for managing synchronization information.
- Provide easy integration into Synchronize View.
- Provide re-use of synchronize UI components in repository
- Provide improved synchronization workflows.
- [>3.0] Investigating JSR-147
as a possible repository neutral API. See Improve
- Understand the direction of the API.
- Decide if it is mature enough to integration in 3.0.
- Understand how the API concepts map to CVS.
- [>3.0] Support logical
Support logical resources (37723) .
- Allow a plug-in to provide more than one file to be operated on
based on a selection in a view.
- Make the target support API.
- Add target API to team.core and reconcile with existing
repository adapter framework
- provide ISV documentation
- Help ISVs build repository providers
- Improve documentation and examples.
- Ensure that other tools can reach CVS integration levels.
3.0 Development Effort - Milestone 9 (Friday May 7, 2004)
- Complete synchronize workflows
- prompting with synchronize
- perspective switching
- showing the sync view only for synchronize and not for
merge/compare (how to prompt / wording with synchronize finish)
- Synchronize Participant Lifecycle
- ensure that synchronize models are not leaked
- memory testing
- Improve behavior of background synchronize
- could be nicer and not lock projects, but instead lock CVS meta
- stop if blocking a job running in the UI thread, would be
rescheduled and restart later
- synchronize apis
- review old apis and update if required
- Compare editor updating with associated IFile and IRemoteFile
- need to PR compare to allow lifecycle of compare editor
- Usability and use of new cheatsheets and intro pages?
- empty views or wizards help the user move on...
- empty sync view, then allow
- intro page
- cheat sheet
- Over 100 bugs marked for M9!
3.0 Development Effort - Milestone 8 (Friday March 26, 2004)
- Synchronization APIs will be available
- Examples and documentation will be provided for M8
- CVS plug-in will use the new support for M8.
- Target plug-ins will be ported by M9
- Will provide migration documentation for ISVs that implemented
the old internal classes.
- [>3.0] Support logical
- have a prototype available for M8
- provide help to UI team for fixing rules about object
contributions only adapting to IResource.
- Enable use of structured compare in the outline view (compare
hasn't released the code yet)
3.0 Development Effort - Milestone 7 (Friday February 13th, 2003)
- Synchronize API and suppor)
- Split synchronize view into re-useable parts (changes tree,
viewer, actions) so that the parts can be used in different contexts.
- Address some of the remaining usability bugs (Jean-michel)
- notification after a refresh with remote
- mode switching
- seperate sheduling per participant
- Provide helper classes for managing synchronize state for
- refactor existing CVS framework for use by other team tools
- port FTP/DAV to use the new framework
- Port FTP/DAV to new synchronize API (Michael)
- Documentation for new Team APIs (Jean-Michel and Michael)
- EclipseCon presentations and technology exchange (Jean-Michel and
- Responsive UI presentation
- Team API presentation
- Implementing repository adapters technology exchange
3.0 Development Effort - Milestone 6 (Friday December 18th, 2003)
WVCM Update: We have finished
our priliminary evaluation of JSR 147 (WVCM). We have always been
interested in WVCM because it has industry backing and is a very
comprehensive abstraction for modern versioning system capabilities.
Although it would be a good candidate for a Repository Provider API in
Eclipse Team, at this time the JSR is still under public review with a
deadline of mid winter 2004 and a reference implementation is not yet
available. This, combined with the lack of documentation and examples,
has lead us to the conclusion that we cannot release an Eclipse Team
API in 3.0 based on a JSR that is still under review and not yet final.
As a result we are deferring the Improve
Team API plan item.
- Fixed many bugs!
- SSH2 support
- Investigate JSR-147
For more information about using WVCM you can refer to the WVCM
3.0 Development Effort - Milestone 5 (Friday November 21st, 2003)
- Team API (5wks)
- Migrating target management support for backwards
- Refactoring Team core plugin for supporting versioning and
non-versioning Team providers with more flexible mapping scenarios.
- Move Synchronize View API into UI and finalize TeamSubscriber
- Create WVCM TeamProvider and hooks for accessing the API.
- Start working on a WVCM provider (e.g. either CVS, FTP, or
- Create a WVCM TeamSubscriber and Synchronize View components.
- Document API and extend Team API plan to explain direction
and usage patterns.
- Decorators (3 days)
- Investigate poor performance of CVS decorators and in more
general terms the decoration infrastructure provided by the workbench.
- Investigate enabling CVS decorators by default when a project
is shared/checked out.
- Investigate showing all sync info in decorator (there are
existing enhancement requests for this).
- Jaxp Conversion (1 day)
- UI Progress Support (4 days)
- Move our Team specific view progress support for UI.
- Help UI team implement progress services.
- Move CVS console onto generic console support (2 days)
- CVS Compare and replace with converted to Job mechanism. (2 days)
- Bug fixing (2 weeks)
3.0 Development Effort - Milestone 4 (Friday October 10th, 2003)
handling and messages
maintaining context between backround jobs and views
modifying CVS operations to run in the background and enable them by M4.
- Team API
JSR 147 and propose how it can be integrated into Eclipse.
- Proper selection and expansion preservation.
commands supported (delete, copy, paste, rename).
caching base/remote file contents for faster browsing of changes
decide on support for compare between local / remote and remote /
- currently uses a compare editor and requires multiple
Improved feedback for statistics and active filters.
- Document API
- User Settings
with Core and UI teams for implementation
- Logical to Physical
- Work on bug
backlog and inbox triage
3.0 Development Effort - Milestone 3 (Friday August 29th, 2003)
- User Settings (3 p/wk Michael)
- Work on
design based on feedback from the community.
implementation to Core team.
- Logical to Physical (1 p/wk Jean-Michel)
- Concurrency (1 p/wk Jean-Michel)
core resources resource locking APIs and use for checkout.
impact of listeners running in jobs.
other CVS operations to run in the background.
- update from the sync view
- commit from the sync view
- Make CVS
command framework thread-safe.
- Team API (1 p/wk Jean-Michel)
- Investigate JSR 147 and propose how it can be integrated into
current Team API. (deferred to M4)
- Synchronize View (API and replacement)(2 p/wk Dean &
from SubscriberActions to using UI IActionFilter API.
improvements: calculate sync states in the background
- By M3 the old sync view should be disabled
- Propose solutions for loss
functionality because compare is no longer all in the same view
- Editor management (don't pollute work area with compare
- Browsing changes (in the old sync view you could Ctrl+.
between tree viewer and compare editors)
performance is better that old sync view and that there are no major
- Document API
- Work on bug
backlog and inbox triage (1 p/wk Dean & Jean-Michel)
3.0 Development Effort - Milestone 2 (Friday July 18th, 2003)
- User Settings (3 p/wk)
- Send out
- Prototype including examples of: (prototype
was not released to HEAD, will be available for M3)
- application settings (.config,
- project settings (.classpath, .project)
- non-project settings (CVs repo list file)
- dialog settings (preferences)
- Send out
- Logical to Physical (1 p/wk)
- Send out
input from community and products that have raised this issue as
important for them
- Decide if
a solution is possible
- Concurrency (2 p/wk)
remote resources in the repo view in the background
the sync state in the background
in the background
- Sync view replacement (2 p/wk)
synchronization API and UI components to support the new API. (tech-preview released and will have APIs available
- Fix bugs
as they are reported
- Absorb and prototype action contribution enhancement plan
item (deferred to M3)
- enable key bindings for CVS actions
- enable action overrides in sync view
- enable key bindings for override actions
- enable action contribution based on context
- Work on bug
backlog and inbox triage (1 p/wk)