Eclipse Callisto Discovery Site
Using Callisto Discovery Site
The Callisto Discovery Site allows you to install any of the projects included in the Callisto Release from a single location. Instead of downloading each project individually and then installing them into your workspace, the Callisto Discovery Site simplifies the process.
To access the Callisto Discovery site:
- First download either the Eclipse SDK or the Eclipse Platform Runtime Binaries.
- You then need to use the update manager to load Callisto projects. See Eclipse Help for general information about using Update Manager. You can also view a screencam demonstration of using the Callisto Discovery Site.
- For most distributions of Eclipse, there should already be a "Callisto Discovery Site" defined in its Update Manager. If you do not see it you can try adding the following URL as a remote update site in your update manager. http://download.eclipse.org/callisto/releases/
- Alternatively, if you would like to view the list or projects by their Eclipse Project (PMC) organization, you can define a new remote update site, and specify a site-byProject.xml file. In other words, http://download.eclipse.org/callisto/releases/site-byProject.xml
- To lessen download time (by installing the minimum number of features), first select the desired feature in the Eclipse update install dialog, then use the "Select Required" button to select only the minimum required prerequisite features.
- Any time you get a chance, export your bookmark files from the "Add a Site" dialog. Having them saved away in a safe place makes it much easier to re-create another development environment.
- Since the workbench will have to shutdown and restart you can you do the upgrade and installs with an empty workspace and once satisfied all is well, then use the -data option on the Eclipse command line (or shortcut) to point to your workspace of interest.
- Both before and after installing "new" features, you may want to use update manager to "Check for updates to currently installed features". In some cases, just installing a feature will not necessarily upgrade all of its prerequisites to the highest available level.