BIRT reports use a data source element to connect to a database or other data provider. BIRT uses a data set element to retrieve data from the data provider. Think of the data source as a connection, and the data set as a query.
Let's build our data source:
- Open the Data Explorer View, if it is not already visible.
- Select the Data Sources node within the tree view.
- Right-click to open the context menu.
- Choose New Data Source. The New Data Source dialog appears.
- Choose Classic Models Inc. Sample Database.
- In the Data Source Name field, enter "Sample".
- Click Next.
- Click Finish.
Your new data source appears within the Data Sources node in the Data Explorer.
For future reference, let's review how you would go about changing the data source:
- Find or open the Data Explorer View.
- Open the Data Sources node.
- Double-click the data source.
- The Data Source editor opens. You can make any needed changes.
- Click OK to save your changes.