New! The ROM documentation is now in new "RomDoc" format complete with indexes, cross references, information taken directly from implementation, and so on. This version is an early draft. Note the following caveats:
- Documentation is not yet done for the Style element and its properites.
- Some elements have no documenation at all.
- Some elements are not in Release 1. These show up in the index, but are not yet flagged as "reserved."
- Some of the wording needs correction and improvement.
- Overview text from the ROM specs are not yet incorporated. Refer to the ROM Specs below for this overview material.
Key features include:
- A "Since" field indicates if the element or property is in Release 1.0, or is "reserved" for a future release.
- Alphabetical index of structures and elements.
- Auto-generated from the implementation: prevents the specs from being out of sync with respect to the code.
The Report Object Model (ROM) is the report design format that the ERD creates and the ERE executes. The following suite of documents provides a full description of the model. Note: these are the original design specs, and are now somewhat out of date with respect to the implementation. See the above "RomDocs" for the most recent details.
- Overview – Overall introduction to the ROM (read this first.)
- Base Elements – Properties common to all ROM elements
- Report Design – Report design, report libraries and report parameters
- Layout Model – Layout rules and elements: grids and free-form>
- Lists & Tables – The two elements for displaying data from a data set>
- Textual Elements – Including Data, Label, Text and Multi-Line Data>
- Page Setup – Master pages and page sequences>
- Styles – Defines BIRT-defined and user-defined styles.>
- Expressions & Scripting – The programming model and objects
- Data – The data source and data set classes (coming soon)
BIRT Project Specification documents.